PyQt5 bug in font settings

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Oct 13 13:52:12 BST 2020

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 06:24:27PM +0200, ullix wrote:
> That would be another workaround. Presently I check for operating system and
> set the font value that I know does work.

FWIW if all you need is a monospace font, you can use
QFontDatabase.systemFont(QFontDatabase.FixedFont)

I have to admit I don't really understand how font handling in Qt works
precisely, and there at leat three ways to obtain a "default" monospace
font. See this comment for details:

https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/v1.13.1/qutebrowser/config/configtypes.py#L1184-L1231

> I am looking for proof or disproof that this is a bug. Nobody else has seen
> this? Can someone replicate?

If it is, it's most likely to be a Qt rather than PyQt one. You might
want to search the Qt bugtracker: https://bugreports.qt.io

For example, here's a bug that might be relevant which was introduced in
Qt 5.15.1 and fixed in 5.15.2 (not released yet):
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-87267
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/317077

Florian

--