Some questions about next versions of SIP

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 14 19:09:43 BST 2020

Hi Phil!

I noticed that you are preparing a new major version of SIP in hg — v6.

So I want to ask some questions that are relevant for me as a downstream
packager (Debian/Ubuntu).

- Will PyQt5 be switched to SIP v6 too? Or it is only for PyQt6?

- When (approximately) you are planning to release SIP v6? Will it happen
  in a few weeks, months or years? Or not before Qt 6.0 is released?

- Will SIP v5 (and maybe also v4) be supported after v6 is released?
  For example, now you are still making 4.19.x releases, but for how long
  will you do that?

- Is it possible to mix different SIP versions in the same project?
  For example, some upstreams (like Calibre) can be built only with SIP v4,
  but is it fine to use these projects together with PyQt5 that is built
  with newer sip?

- Is there any migration guide how to switch to sipbuild for projects that
  are calling sip or sip5 executable from their custom build system? For
  example, Krita and QGIS are such projects, they are calling sip/sip5 from
  their CMake-based build system.

  Ideally it would be nice to have a guide that would also cover other
  aspects of updating to a newer SIP, such as API changes.

- Will SIP v5 and SIP v6 be co-installable? Or both will use the same Python
  module name (sipbuild) and the same set of binaries (sip-build & friends)?
  I am asking this because I will have to continue shipping older versions
  of SIP for packages that are using sip5 legacy tool.

Sorry for many questions, but it's important for me to plan my work on distro
packages for SIP and PyQt.

--
Dmitry Shachnev