Fwd: PyQt6 and SIP v6 Snapshots Available

Maurizio Berti maurizio.berti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:58:38 BST 2020

Il giorno mer 23 set 2020 alle ore 23:15 Phil Thompson <
phil at riverbankcomputing.com> ha scritto:

> On 23/09/2020 20:15, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> > Phil,
> >
> > Could you explain what makes the Qt resource system obsolete in a
> > PyQt6 context?
>
> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/pyqtdeploy/pyrcc.html
>
> > The Qt resource system itself seems to play an
> > essential role in the toolkit. If you think it does not provide an
> > essential function, then I am intrigued to hear more.
>
> If there is something that you cannot do with existing Python techniques
> then I'll happily reconsider.

In my case, among other things (custom fonts, images) I mostly use pyrcc
for my own icon theme with about 500 icons, which allows me to use
QIcon.fromTheme('icon-name'), which I use it *a lot*: mostly because I find
it much simpler and easier to read than the full image path constructor,
but also because it allows to use the fall back mechanism (under Linux, at
least) if an icon is not in the selected theme, and finally to use
different icons according to the icon size.

Maybe I'm not aware of other ways to use the resource system, as I always
used pyrcc. If that won't be available, will setThemeSearchPaths work
anyway? Will all other ":/" resource loading keep their functionalities
when using local relative paths (or importlib.resources)?

Thanks,
Maurizio

--
È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi