Support for gestures like swiping in PyQt5

Frans Fürst frans.fuerst at protonmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:40:53 GMT 2021

I'm trying to make a PyQt5 application for Android react to swipe gestures (in order to let the user swipe through pictures). I didn't find much documentation about this (neither for C++ nor Python) but I came up with an approach which looks plausible to me:

class

MyViewer

(

QtWidgets.QLabel

):

def

__init__

(

self, parent=

None

):

super

().__init__(parent=parent)
        self.grabGesture(QtCore.Qt.SwipeGesture)

def

event

(

self, event

):

if

event.

type

() == QtCore.QEvent.Gesture:

# <= this won't happen

print(

"Hello event!"

)

return

super

().event(event)

The app runs without errors but the event() method does not receive any events that look like gestures (at least on Android an Linux, but I don't know if I have to expect gestures work on Linux at all).

I've posted a question on StackOverflow, but with no answers yet: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66304454/receive-gestures-in-pyqt5-for-android

Are there any known issues with gestures on Android with PyQt5?
Did I forget something important? Or am I on a totally wrong path here?