mixing PyQt(5) and Boost.Python

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Tue Jul 20 21:44:17 BST 2021

Hello,

I'm working on Python bindings for a set of C++ libraries /
applications, some of which are using Qt.
The application code is instantiating many Qt objects, some of which I
now want to expose to Python. For in-house C++ APIs this is easy, as I
merely need to reflect the C++ types to Python using Boost.Python, so I
can have functions such as

```
class A;
std::shared_ptr<A> create_a();
```
exposed to Python such that both, the type `A` as well as the function
`create_a()` are known in Python.

Now assume `A` is actually a type with an existing Python wrapper in
PyQt5. How can I instantiate `A` in C++ and then pass it to the Python
runtime such that the PyQt5 bindings are used ? (To make this concrete,
I want to make the `QQMLApplicationEngine` instance of my C++ app
accessible in Python, so that I can use Python to script and - more
importantly - introspect and test my application's GUI.

Any pointers ?

Many thanks,

Stefan