SIP Wheel Builds on AAarch64 Broken

Thomas Watson twatson52 at icloud.com
Sun Aug 7 16:34:29 BST 2022

On Aug 7, 2022, at 4:36 AM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> The minimum_glibc_version should determine what tag is used. PyQt-builder sets this to v2.17 for PyQt5. 'manylinux1' suggests that the version is set to something less than v2.5 or not set at all.
>
> What is the version set to?

I verified on my aarch64 machine that the minimum_glibc_version ends up set to v2.5. I see on line 116 of "pyqtbuild/builder.py" in the PyQt-builder-1.13.0 sdist the clause that I believe intends to set the default minimum_glibc_version for PyQt5 to v2.17 like you say it should be. However, by this time, project.minimum_glibc_version is already set to v2.5.

I did some digging and found that line 468 of "sipbuild/project.py" in the sip-6.6.2 sdist sets the minimum_glibc_version to v2.5, so perhaps that is where PyQt-builder is getting it? The official release wheels ( https://pypi.org/project/PyQt5/#files ) are uploaded with the manylinux1 tag as well, so this is not a problem unique to my setup.

It looks like there might be two bugs:
1. PyQt5's minimum glibc version is not set correctly
2. For projects whose minimum glibc version is 2.5 or lower, which PyQt5 currently is declared as, the wheel name is not generated correctly on non-x86 platforms