Request: Build PyQt6-Qt6 Linux wheels as manylinux1

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jul 19 07:48:42 BST 2022

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 10:23:59PM +0100, Carlos Pereira Atencio wrote:
> Right now the PyQt6-Qt6 Linux wheel is manylinux1, which is great for
> compatibility with older distros, but the PyQt6-Qt6 Linux wheel is
> manylinux_2_28, so that makes it a bit contraproductive.

You have the same wheel name there twice. I'm assuming you meant PyQt6
(rather than PyQt6-Qt6) in the first sentence?

> So ideally we would have all PyQt-related linux wheels using the same
> manylinux1 platform.

This is a Qt limitation. PyQt wheels ship Qt's official binaries, and
those only work with glibc 2.28+:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/supported-platforms.html

    Note: Linux binary packages are linked against glibc 2.28. If you
    are using a glibc version older than that you need to build Qt from
    sources or upgrade glibc to 2.28 or newer.

Florian

--
            me at the-compiler.org | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/