'sip-distinfo not found' following update to SIP v6.6.2

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Tue Jul 19 12:25:47 BST 2022

On 18/07/2022 20:17, Vautrin, Yohann wrote:
> On a related note, I've noticed that in the dist-info the name of the
> generator is (IMHO) incorrect. With the build module, it is set to
> "Generator: _in_process.py 6.6.2" whereas it is "Generator: sip-wheel
> 6.6.2" when sip-wheel is used.
> I've traced the origin of that to "build_project" (in
> pyqtbuild/builder.py) and it is also related to the use of sys.argv[0]
> when "project.get_sip_distinfo_command_line" is called (around line
> 230). Since the version of the generator is already set to
> "SIP_VERSION_STR", shouldn't "sip-wheel" be hardcoded in
> create_distinfo (in sipbuild/distinfo/distinfo.py) as well and the
> option to provide the name of the generator removed?
>
> I've created a minimal working example of my project, available at
> https://github.com/YVautrin/PyQtBindingsExample/, in case this helps
> you. In the root directory you can run either "python -m build
> --wheel" or "sip-wheel" to build the project. The pyproject.toml file
> points to the tip of the Mercurial repository of PyQt-builder so the
> fix you pushed today is used in the isolated build.

PEP491 states that "generator" is the name of the software that produced
the archive without specifying if it is the name of the frontend or the
backend. However the example it gives is the name of a backend.

In your example above I would prefer a different value to be used in
each case (to help debugging), ie. to use the name of the frontend
(although it is confusing to include the version number of the backend).
The disadvantage is that the backend (which writes the value) doesn't
know the proper name of the frontend and doesn't know its version
number.

On balance it would seem that the name of the backend should be used.
However in this case that should be 'pyqtbuild' and its version number
(sip-wheel is the name of a frontend).