building pyqt5 from source

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Sun Jun 26 17:20:54 BST 2022

On 2022-06-26 04:32, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 25/06/2022 21:35, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>>
>> Now I'm trying to compile my own code, which requires the `sip.h`
>> header (as I need to access from Python back to C++ using `sipAPIDef`
>> et al. I assume I need to install SIP for this. What version(s) of SIP
>> do I need, that is / are compatible with PyQt5 5.15.7 ? Anything 5.x ?
>
> Always use the latest versions.

Thanks. The installed `SIP=6.6.2` package doesn't contain the `sip.h`
header per se. It does contain two "sip.h.in" files that look like they
could be converted into `sip.h`. I'm unfortunately not able to find any
documentation that explains that process.

What do I have to do to generate a usable "sip.h" file, and what include
path should I use (or how should I compute it) when compiling my own C++
code to be able to include that ?

(I'm upgrading from an old version 4.19.23 and there the directory
layout and build logic was very different.)

Thanks,

Stefan