Passing arguments to the PEP517 sipbuild.api backend

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sat May 7 10:12:51 BST 2022

On 06/05/2022 14:51, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm one of the maintainers of Python packages in Gentoo.  Lately we've
> been working on transitioning from the legacy "setup.py install"
> workflow to PEP517 build backends.  As part of that, I'd like to work
> on switching the packages relying on sip -- starting with recently
> released update to python-poppler-qt5 but eventually including PyQt.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find a way to pass options to the PEP517 backend
> in the way that it is possible to the sip-build executable.  Is it
> possible to inject options currently?  If not, could you please add
> such
> a possibility?  The config_settings dictionary of build_wheel() method
> seems to be the usual method of doing that (cf. setuptools accepting
> {"--global_option": [...]}, though admittedly that double-dash is weird
> there).
>
> TIA.

The sipbuild.api backend currently ignores any config settings because
(as it says in the comments) I wasn't aware of a frontend that seemed to
support the feature so I couldn't test it properly.

Do you have your own frontend or are you using pip (or similar)?

I'm happy to add the support if I have something to test it against.