black openGL canvas rendering on macos M1

Iván Yossi ghevan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 06:06:50 BST 2022

Hi,

I work with krita and we are trying to solve an issue we are having with a strange bug in pyqt with macOS M1. When using sip>4 and pyqt5 on M1 the openGL canvas renders black with the following message

> UNSUPPORTED (log once): POSSIBLE ISSUE: unit 0 GLD_TEXTURE_INDEX_2D is unloadable and bound to > sampler type (Float) - using zero texture because texture unloadable

This only happens when krita is built with pyqt with sip version greater than 4.19. Currently we are packaging using sip 4.19.19 and PyQt5_gpl-5.13.1, this is ancient and would like to move forward, but this bug has been elusive.

What could be happening? I need help to figure this out. This time for building we are using python 3.10.7 and building using pip3 for sip and pyQt5_sip, but we are compiling from source PyQt5, since we use our own patched Qt.

Versions we are trying to update to:

Name: sip
Version: 6.6.2

Name: PyQt5_sip