Can't install PyQt via pip because it ask about the license

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Wed Oct 5 10:27:25 BST 2022

Thank you for the reply.

On 2022-10-05 08:33 Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> pip is trying to build from source because we don't provide wheels
> for that architecture.

I'm aware of that.

> You can either download the sdist from PyPI
> and use sip-install

I don't know how to do this or what sip-install is.
It also seems "hard" do implement this in a TravisCI pipeline.

> or pass the necessary arguments to pip (using
> --global-option I think) including --confirm-license.

That sounds easier. But it didn't work. I tried

"python3 -m pip install PyQt5 -vv --global-option --confirm-license"

but again get stuck on the license question prompt. But I haven't seen
any error messages about misusing that extra options.

I checked the manpage of pip (where --global-option is mentioned) and
the install docu of PyQt (where --confirm-license is mentioned) here
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/PyQt5/installation.html#building-and-installing-from-source

But I'm not sure how to "combine" that options.