Can't install PyQt via pip because it ask about the license

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Wed Oct 5 12:36:12 BST 2022

Dear Mr. Thompson,

thanks for your patience with me.

On 2022-10-05 11:52 Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> That's the bug reported a couple of days ago that affects older
> versions of Python. The workaround is to remove the 'strict=True'
> argument. I will release v6.7.1 soon.

v6.7.1 of what? If it is PyQt then it should be backported to PyQt5
also. I couldn't find that bug in the mailing list for the last two
months. This is a good situation to explain why this project need a bug
tracker: I can't find a bug, You can not reference a bug (mailing list
threads doesn't count) and no one can monitor a bug (keeping informed
via mail/rss/... notification). Subscribing a whole mailing list just
to monitor one bug is not a solution.

Ok, I removed the "strict" argument as you said and got this lines of
output.

These bindings will be built: Qt, pylupdate, pyrcc.
Generating the Qt bindings...
Generating the pylupdate bindings...
sip-install: /home/user/PyQt5-5.15.7/sip/QtCore/qprocess.sip: line 99:
column 5: 'Q_PID' is undefined

I do not know if this is a warning an error or critical. Maybe I have
to clear some files from the previous build before?

PyQt5 is still not importable. So I assume it is an error/critical.

Python 3.8.10 (default, Jun 22 2022, 20:18:18)
[GCC 9.4.0] on linux
>>> import PyQt5
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5'