[Eric] Colours and Fonts in eric4

Christof Hanke hanke at rzg.mpg.de
Thu Jul 19 19:49:08 BST 2007

Hi all (Detlev),

I thought it's time to move to eric4, so I got the latest snapshot
(08-Jul-2007) and all the other stuff incl. German translations on my
OpenSuSE 10.2. Compiling was no problem.

I just opened a eric3-project in eric4 and now I have following comments:

* First, my font for everything (Bitstream Vera Sans) is(was) quite
funky and unfortunately almost unreadable. I certainly did not use that
font in eric3. As an observation: This font isn't even given in the
options-menues.
I fixed that by replacing all entries in ~/.config/Eric4/eric4.conf
using 'sed'.
Suggestion: Somewhere in options a menu where I can change _all_ fonts
at once and not only the specific one to editor, graphics etc. would be
helpful.

* My default Colour\SelectionBackground is(was) black, so I wanted to
change that, but it took me a while to note that changing the colour in
options is not enough. You also need to activate the "Eigene Farben für
Auswahl" in "Styles" maybe it is more user-friendly if the option is
automatically activated when the colour is changed ?
The confusing bit is that the selection of the custom colour is in
Editors/Colours and it's activation is in Editors/Styles (I'm just
guessing the english option-nameds here).

* The width of the options window s too small, the width of the right
hand side column is fixed, so that the names in the left hand column are
truncated. Not a big issue, but it doesn't look nice.

Thanks anyway for this nice piece of work!

Christof

PS:
Version Numbers:
Python 2.5
Qt 4.3.0
PyQt4 4.2
sip 4.6
QScintilla 2.1
eric4 4.1-snapshot-20070708
Platform: linux2
2.5 (r25:51908, May 25 2007, 16:14:04)
[GCC 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)]

PPS: As a hint for unix-users:
I can't grab the version-numbers from the "Help->Versions"-Window with
the mouse, but if you start eric4 in a shell and then press CTRL-C, you
get the above information in a mouse-grabbable window. HTH.