[Eric] Colours and Fonts in eric4

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Jul 20 18:57:12 BST 2007

On Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2007, Christof Hanke wrote:
> Hi all (Detlev),
>
> I thought it's time to move to eric4, so I got the latest snapshot
> (08-Jul-2007) and all the other stuff incl. German translations on my
> OpenSuSE 10.2. Compiling was no problem.
>
> I just opened a eric3-project in eric4 and now I have following comments:
>
> * First, my font for everything (Bitstream Vera Sans) is(was) quite
> funky and unfortunately almost unreadable. I certainly did not use that
> font in eric3. As an observation: This font isn't even given in the
> options-menues.
> I fixed that by replacing all entries in ~/.config/Eric4/eric4.conf
> using 'sed'.
> Suggestion: Somewhere in options a menu where I can change _all_ fonts
> at once and not only the specific one to editor, graphics etc. would be
> helpful.

Upon a fresh install, eric4 uses the fonts and style set by qtconfig and the
default fonts and colors for the language lexers. This should be adjusted to
the users liking.

> * My default Colour\SelectionBackground is(was) black, so I wanted to
> change that, but it took me a while to note that changing the colour in
> options is not enough. You also need to activate the "Eigene Farben für
> Auswahl" in "Styles" maybe it is more user-friendly if the option is
> automatically activated when the colour is changed ?
> The confusing bit is that the selection of the custom colour is in
> Editors/Colours and it's activation is in Editors/Styles (I'm just
> guessing the english option-nameds here).

I'll add a note to the colors page.

> * The width of the options window s too small, the width of the right
> hand side column is fixed, so that the names in the left hand column are
> truncated. Not a big issue, but it doesn't look nice.

That depends on the translation used. Unfortunately some languages are more
space consuming than others. The right hand side get proportinally more space
than the left hand side (horizontal stretch is 30:70).