[Eric] ANN: eric4 4.0.0 release

Dieter vel.accel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:57:29 BST 2007

On 6/3/07, Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am proud to announce the availability of the first official release of
> eric4. eric4 is the successor of the well known eric3 Python development
> environment.
>
> What is eric4?
> --------------
> eric4 is an Integrated Development Environment for the Python (and Ruby)
> language. It comes with all batteries included. It has too many features to
> list here. For details please visit
>
> http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/index.html
>
> Regards,
> Detlev
> --
> Detlev Offenbach
> detlev at die-offenbachs.de

Hi Detlev,

As a person who has always struggled to find an IDE that "fits like a
glove", I'm very excited by eric4! Congratulations and thank you for
all your endeavors.

As I'm getting familiar with the new interface, I think I found a bug
in the creation of a new project when it asks "Add existing files to
the project?". It seems to do some processing then freezes with what
seems like an increasing memory leak/crash.

The second thing that I'll mention while I have your attention, is
that I was about to see if I would be able to add a configuration for
a global background color value. One small thing that has always
bugged me a little, is that it seems that you like having a white
background in your forms where as I prefer something other than white.
Since I'm more familiar with straight Qt and not, as yet PyQt or
qscintilla, would this be easy enough for me to do. Would you like a
patch for such an option?

Thanks,
-Dieter