[Eric] ANN: eric4 4.0.0 release

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Mon Jun 4 15:32:49 BST 2007

On Montag, 4. Juni 2007, Dieter wrote:
> On 6/3/07, Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am proud to announce the availability of the first official release of
> > eric4. eric4 is the successor of the well known eric3 Python development
> > environment.
> >
> > What is eric4?
> > --------------
> > eric4 is an Integrated Development Environment for the Python (and Ruby)
> > language. It comes with all batteries included. It has too many features
> > to list here. For details please visit
> >
> > http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/index.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Detlev
> > --
> > Detlev Offenbach
> > detlev at die-offenbachs.de
>
> Hi Detlev,
>
> As a person who has always struggled to find an IDE that "fits like a
> glove", I'm very excited by eric4! Congratulations and thank you for
> all your endeavors.

Thanks very much.

> As I'm getting familiar with the new interface, I think I found a bug
> in the creation of a new project when it asks "Add existing files to
> the project?". It seems to do some processing then freezes with what
> seems like an increasing memory leak/crash.

I tested it over here and it works ok. Please check, if you have some symbolic
link in your existing directory, that might cause an infinite recursion. I
have no other idea so far.

> The second thing that I'll mention while I have your attention, is
> that I was about to see if I would be able to add a configuration for
> a global background color value. One small thing that has always
> bugged me a little, is that it seems that you like having a white
> background in your forms where as I prefer something other than white.
> Since I'm more familiar with straight Qt and not, as yet PyQt or
> qscintilla, would this be easy enough for me to do. Would you like a
> patch for such an option?

Eric4 uses the style selected for Qt by default. However, this can be changed
in the Configuration dialog. You can even give it a Qt stylesheet file to
use. I do not know, whether QScintilla2 has been made stylesheet aware by
Phil (haven't checked this).

If there is still a code change required, I am happy to get a patch.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de