[Eric] Configuring eric4

Colin McPhail colin.mcphail at talktalk.net
Sat Dec 27 21:45:34 GMT 2008

On 26 Dec 2008, at 06:38, Sjujsckij Nickolaj wrote:

> Make sure you have the Qt designer. I have no idea though, what's
> typical Qt installation @ MacOS, but probably it could be found in
> Apps menu somewhere, or run from terminal.
>
> If it's installed, I think you should find out where are main Qt
> directories on your filesystems, then run Eric from terminal and
> experiment with Qt paths in Eric Preferences. With any luck, you
> probably will see something like '/usr/qt-4/ not found' in stdout
> and figure out pre- and postfixes you need.
>
>> Season's Greetings to all!
>>
>> I have recently installed Qt 4.4.3, PyQt 4.4.4, sip 4.7.9,
>> QScintilla 2.3.2 and eric4 4.2.4a.  I'm using ActiveState's Python
>> 2.6.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6.
>>
>> I'm following the eric4 tutorial and have reached the part where I
>> want to run QtDesigner from within eric4, but I get the message
>> "Could not start Qt-Designer. Ensure that it is available as
>> designer."  I have gone to Preferences->Qt but I don't understand
>> what I should put in the "Qt4-Prefix" and "Qt4-Postfix" fields.

Thanks for your suggestion (and thanks to Detlev for his reply).

The QT designer application is installed as /Developer/Applications/Qt/
Designer.app on Mac OS X.  Designer.app is a Mac OS X  'package' (a
folder, really).  Inside the package is an executable called
Designer.  I have created a hard link  to it in ~/bin called designer
(lower-case 'd') and now eric4 can find it OK.  It would be nice to be
able to configure eric4  to find the installed executable, though.

Regards,
-- Colin