[Eric] Configuring eric4

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Mon Dec 29 10:37:27 GMT 2008

On Samstag, 27. Dezember 2008, Colin McPhail wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2008, at 06:38, Sjujsckij Nickolaj wrote:
> > Make sure you have the Qt designer. I have no idea though, what's
> > typical Qt installation @ MacOS, but probably it could be found in
> > Apps menu somewhere, or run from terminal.
> >
> > If it's installed, I think you should find out where are main Qt
> > directories on your filesystems, then run Eric from terminal and
> > experiment with Qt paths in Eric Preferences. With any luck, you
> > probably will see something like '/usr/qt-4/ not found' in stdout
> > and figure out pre- and postfixes you need.
> >
> >> Season's Greetings to all!
> >>
> >> I have recently installed Qt 4.4.3, PyQt 4.4.4, sip 4.7.9,
> >> QScintilla 2.3.2 and eric4 4.2.4a.  I'm using ActiveState's Python
> >> 2.6.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.6.
> >>
> >> I'm following the eric4 tutorial and have reached the part where I
> >> want to run QtDesigner from within eric4, but I get the message
> >> "Could not start Qt-Designer. Ensure that it is available as
> >> designer."  I have gone to Preferences->Qt but I don't understand
> >> what I should put in the "Qt4-Prefix" and "Qt4-Postfix" fields.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion (and thanks to Detlev for his reply).
>
> The QT designer application is installed as /Developer/Applications/Qt/
> Designer.app on Mac OS X.  Designer.app is a Mac OS X  'package' (a
> folder, really).  Inside the package is an executable called
> Designer.  I have created a hard link  to it in ~/bin called designer
> (lower-case 'd') and now eric4 can find it OK.  It would be nice to be
> able to configure eric4  to find the installed executable, though.

eric4 uses several executables of the Qt4 package. These are:

- designer
- linguist
- assistant
- lrelease

eric4 expects these executables in the search path, which is set via the
environment variable PATH (at least on *nix and Win* systems). How is this
accomplished on Mac OS X? Is it standard, that the executables have an
uppercase first letter?

Unfortunately I don't own a Mac, so I need support in this area.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de