More ibex probs. Re: [Eric] Won't start

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Nov 3 06:10:26 GMT 2008

Tim Rue wrote:
>> Alex Mandel wrote:
>>> Well good news, it's not eric.
>>> Something is wrong with qt4 on ubuntu intrepid.
>>>
>>> I'll post when I find the answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex
>>>

>> For me, after an ibex upgrade, the eric4 splash screen will come up
>> and after some loading it will vanish but nothing happens.
>> the following is reported.  I can still run eric3, and it seems to run
>> ok. Tim

>> 2008-11-01, 13:55:52
>>
>> <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>:
>> argument 1 of QsciScintilla() has an invalid type
>>
>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/eric4/eric4.py", line 238, in
>> <module>
>>    main()
>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/eric4/eric4.py", line 235, in
>> main
>>    raise err

>> Version Numbers:
>>  Python 2.5.2
>>  Qt 4.4.3
>>  PyQt4 4.4.3
>>  sip 4.7.7
>>  QScintilla 2.2
>>  eric4 4.2.2a (r2553)
>>
>> Platform: linux2
>> 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Oct  5 2008, 19:24:49)
>> [GCC 4.3.2]
>>
> to follow up, I don't recommend upgrading to ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex
>
> I had so many persistent problems with it that I decided to  downgrade
> back to 8.04 LTS .....8.04.1 actually. In my efforts to do so I found
> several others wanting to do the same.
>
> Its said that downgrading is not supported but what I did and learned to
> do, is to backup the home directory (which I have as a separate
> partition) and upon deciding to downgrade, you really just reinstall the
> earlier OS completely over writing the newer one. And then copy back the
> home backup selectively as it has all your configurations and such in
> it. you might backup the /root user directory too.
>
> Of course this means you have to re-install everything that is not a
> part of the default install. But I will tell anyone that its easier than
> doing so on a windows machine as the home directory has all your config
> settings and email, browser bookmarks, etc...
>
> Anyway, although I have the eric3&4 configs I still have to uninstall
> the version I got from the repositories and of course go through
> reinstallation of eric 4 and maybe 3.
>
> On the positive side I have something of a cleaner system than I had
> over the past upgrades history.
> Now if I can remember the tweeks I did.... printer driver, scanner

I had a similar experience back with I think 6.10, and should have
learned my lesson, it takes a couple of weeks for the odds and ends to
get patched due to the limited variety of test machines. Since nothing
major is broken I think I'll wait it out for the patches although the
above described revert would work.

I'll post when it's seems to all be fixed.

Alex