[Eric] Eric4 and interactive PyQwt Plots

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:39:54 GMT 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008 02:07:47 pm Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Freitag, 7. November 2008, Darryl Wallace wrote:
> > Basically, when using the startup environment script I previously
> > mentioned, or using ipython, you can create a window from the
> > command-line and the event-loop returns to the commandline and you can
> > still access the Qt Object.
> >
> > So when, for a PyQwt plot, I call plot.show(), the plot is displayed and
> > I can continue to modify the contents of that plot (like change titles,
> > make the window bigger, etc.) from the command line.
> >
> > Currently in eric, if I run a script where the end result is displaying
> > a plot I can't continue to work from the shell window's command-line
> > until I close the plot window.  I would still like to be able to access
> > the active plot objects from the shell's commandline, as well as do
> > other things.
> >
> > So, using PyQwt (http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/cli-examples.html)* *I can
> > generate a plot.  Do some stuff.. add a new line to that existing plot
> > from the command-line after it's already been displayed.  Just some more
> > flexibility.
> >
> > I hope this helps clear things up.  Is this possible?
>
> Not as it is now. I think, IPython is doing something with the Qt event
> loop.

This is correct. You can start IPython with Qt threading support in order to
debug code or work in an interactive matlab-like plotting environment. (I did
some of the initial work on the Qt4 support in IPython). IPython starts the
mainloop, and replaces qApp.exec_ and QApplication.exec_ with a function that
doesnt do anything.

Darren