[Eric] Get rid of DOS box after starting up Eric4?

Geert Vancompernolle geert.eric4 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 09:21:50 GMT 2009

Darren Dale wrote:
> I think the way to do this is to use a .pyw extension for the main
> program.

That is correct for GUI applications you make yourself and you don't
want to see a DOS box popping up.  See
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/456bc00fa11f689/b4357c9aa47f04d3?lnk=gst&q=dos+box+remove
and my answer on that issue
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/b2a742b280717c92/0fee906ab9e2433b#0fee906ab9e2433b).

But in fact, thanks to your "pyw" hint, I found the solution to my problem:
On WinXp (and other Windows OS'es, I guess), there's an association
between .pyw files and pythonw after installing Python.  Thus, I can
simply double-click on the file "eric4.pyw" in the directory
"./Lib/site-packages/eric4" and Eric4 IDE starts up without the annoying
DOS box.
So, to ease the start-up process, I created a shortcut to "eric4.pyw"
and I'm using this shortcut to start Eric4 IDE.  Hence, my problem is
solved.

Stupid I didn't think on that one earlier...

Anyway, thanks for the hint, Darren.

--
Best rgds,

Geert