[Eric] a question for raw_input().split(',')

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Sep 22 17:34:43 BST 2009

On Dienstag, 22. September 2009, Tiemeng Li wrote:
> Hi
> i have a question in using Eric4 as follow:
>
> code as this:
>
> *t = raw_input("enter a list: ").split(',')*
> *print t*
> *
> *
> and i thought the result would be:
>
> *>>> enter a list: 1,2,3,4,5
> ['1', '2', '3', '4', '5']
> *
> *
> *
> but the result is:
>
> *>>> enter a list: 1,2,3,4,5*
> *[u'1', u'2', u'3', u'4', u'5']*
> *
> *
> why?!
> Appreciate for answer!

The debugger backend is a separate process started by the eric IDE.
Communication is done via a network socket. That means, the program being
debugged is issuing the raw_input call, which is reimplemented by the eric4
debugger. That function sends the stuff to the IDE, which shows the prompt in
the shell window. The stuff you type goes all the way back. Communication is
done using unicode strings. That cause the effect you saw.

I hope that doesn't cause too big a problem.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de