[Eric] First steps using Eric: couple of questions

Juan Manuel Santos vicariousdm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 19:37:26 BST 2010

Hello everybody,

I've been a PyDev user for over a year now, got rather tire of it and decided
to look into some other IDE. I believe I tried almost all of them (at least
the ones accessible to me :)).

Eric was one of them, and TBH, at first I did not like it one bit. However I
gave it a second shot just recently, and found the integration with Qt4 really
nice and useful. There are nevertheless some small usability concerns I
noticed, and I went through the entire settings and found no option for this:

1) Is there a possibility to save automatically all open and modified files from
a project upon running that project? Eclipse can be configured to do this
automatically, and it's specially useful when you're making many small changes
on different files. More than once I found that I was running the old saved copy
of the project, because Eric had not saved the files. This could be workaround-
ded a bit if we had a keyboard shortcut for the "Save all.." function.

2) Is there a way to delete a line with one keyboard shortcut? I found none on
the edit menu. On Eclipse, I can do this by pressing Ctrl+D, but this appends
a new line that is a copy of the current line.

On a completely different subject, is there any effort under way to bring Git
support for Eric? The other IDE I tried (Pida) used anyvc and it apparently (I
did not get to try it) had support for bzr, hg, git and svn (all the ones
supported by anyvc, to be short). I've taken a look at the Subversion code and
saw it is a big BIG task. I considered starting writing Git support on my free
time, but first wanted to know if anybody is working on this too.

Sorry for the length of this post, but thanks for your attention and for a
great IDE! :)

Cheers,
Juan Manuel