[Eric] First steps using Eric: couple of questions

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sun Aug 29 19:59:37 BST 2010

On Sonntag, 29. August 2010, Juan Manuel Santos wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've been a PyDev user for over a year now, got rather tire of it and
> decided to look into some other IDE. I believe I tried almost all of them
> (at least the ones accessible to me :)).
>
> Eric was one of them, and TBH, at first I did not like it one bit. However
> I gave it a second shot just recently, and found the integration with Qt4
> really nice and useful. There are nevertheless some small usability
> concerns I noticed, and I went through the entire settings and found no
> option for this:
>
> 1) Is there a possibility to save automatically all open and modified files
> from a project upon running that project? Eclipse can be configured to do
> this automatically, and it's specially useful when you're making many
> small changes on different files. More than once I found that I was
> running the old saved copy of the project, because Eric had not saved the
> files. This could be workaround- ded a bit if we had a keyboard shortcut
> for the "Save all.." function.

Config Dialog, Debugger->General->Start Debugging->Autosave changed scripts

> 2) Is there a way to delete a line with one keyboard shortcut? I found none
> on the edit menu. On Eclipse, I can do this by pressing Ctrl+D, but this
> appends a new line that is a copy of the current line.

Ctrl-U

All keyboard shortcuts can be viewed and changed via the shortcuts
configuration dialog (Settings menu).

> On a completely different subject, is there any effort under way to bring
> Git support for Eric? The other IDE I tried (Pida) used anyvc and it
> apparently (I did not get to try it) had support for bzr, hg, git and svn
> (all the ones supported by anyvc, to be short). I've taken a look at the
> Subversion code and saw it is a big BIG task. I considered starting
> writing Git support on my free time, but first wanted to know if anybody
> is working on this too.

Eric5 snapshots (i.e. what will become 5.1 has a Mercurial plug-in). That
could be the basis for a GIT plug-in. The task shouldn't be that big.