[Eric] help installing eric and prerequisits on ubuntu 10

Ken hackbarthken at gmail.com
Mon May 3 04:19:09 BST 2010

I'm a novice Linux and Ubuntu and python user.

I'd like to install Eric on my Ubuntu machine.  I'd especially like to use the
Ubuntu Software Center to install all the prerequisites and Eric itself.

I could sure use some advice so that I get everything installed in the proper
order and connected.

I see from the Eric download page that Eric requires Python (already installed
as part of Ubuntu), Qt (there seem to be several kinds of this available for
download - Assistant, Creator, Linguist,... I just installed everything with a 4
after it).  Next I tried to find PyQt4 in the Ubuntu software center but
couldn't find it.  So instead I went to the Riverbank Computing web site and
downloaded the Linux/Unix source for PyQt4.  I extracted the file and according
to the README file ran python configure.py, but I got the following error:
$ python configure.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "configure.py", line 37, in <module>
    import sipconfig
ImportError: No module named sipconfig

As I said, I'm a novice at all levels and could sure use some suggestions.
Also, I'm not interested in the source code for PyQt4 and would be happy with
installable binaries.

In fact, I'd love a step by step set of instructions to install Eric and its
prerequisites on Ubuntu if someone knows where I could find them.

Thanks,
Ken