[Eric] a few eric4 usability issues

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu Jan 27 18:20:17 GMT 2011

On Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Hi Detlev,
>
> I would like to discuss some usability aspects of eric4:
>
> Autocompletion: I would like to have autocompletion working for
> translated ui files,

I gues you mean "compiled" ui files, i.e. Ui_*.py files.

> but it seems, that no combination of settings
> allows me to do so:
>  * Autocompletion is enabled, case sensitive, replacing words with
>    threshold 2
>  * Eric AC is enabled from API files, document, and project
>    (but doesn't seem to work)

Is it enabled?

>  * QScintilla AC is enabled bot showing singles, not using fillup chars
>    with document and API files sources
>
> The latter seems to work fine, but isn't able to use any project members
> apart from the current document.

QScintilla doesn't support dynamic scanning of project files. That's why I
implemented the "Eric Assistant" plug-in, which does exactly this. It scans a
project file upon saving it. If this plugin doesn't work, please check the
directory .eric4project in your project. Maybe there is a lock file for the
API database.

> I've disabled Rope AC, since it operates in a too intrusive way.
>
> Do I really need to manually create api files on any UI change and add
> an API file for every project?

No, if you use the plug-in.

> Other files handling: usually, one selects some changed files in the
> project viewer in order to check them in. Loading the associated app
> isn't the best thing to do, when selecting them, especially, if you
> click on them with some accelerator key pressed (to select many or
> regions of files). It's simply not funny, that eric triggers a dozen
> oowriter instances in that case. Better provide that as a context menu
> item. Same goes for UI files.

Did you select several files and opened them via the context menu? I don't
quite understand the sequence of actions.

> Check in: I tend to prefer checking in larger changes on the command
> line (to svn), since that gives me the hint, what files are checked in
> beforehand. Ideally, I would want to check the diff of some files'
> changes before proceeding. I'm dreaming of a check in facility, that
> offers an interface similar to "svn ci" in the shell, but with the
> possibility to check the diffs of certain files, or a full diff. You
> offer all of these functions within the version control context menu,
> but the workflow is pretty uncomfortable.

That would be a dialog like kdesvn commit dialog, right?

> It's a real pity, that you dropped Qt3 support a long time ago. Since I
> still have a host of such projects running, I feel discriminated
> compared to, say, wxpython users (which I classify much more legacy
> then Qt3..).

Can't you use the last eric3 anymore? ;)

detlev at die-offenbachs.de