[Eric] a few eric4 usability issues

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Jan 26 21:04:01 GMT 2011

Hi Detlev,

I would like to discuss some usability aspects of eric4:

Autocompletion: I would like to have autocompletion working for
translated ui files, but it seems, that no combination of settings
allows me to do so:
 * Autocompletion is enabled, case sensitive, replacing words with
   threshold 2
 * Eric AC is enabled from API files, document, and project
   (but doesn't seem to work)
 * QScintilla AC is enabled bot showing singles, not using fillup chars
   with document and API files sources

The latter seems to work fine, but isn't able to use any project members
apart from the current document.

I've disabled Rope AC, since it operates in a too intrusive way.

Do I really need to manually create api files on any UI change and add
an API file for every project?

Other files handling: usually, one selects some changed files in the
project viewer in order to check them in. Loading the associated app
isn't the best thing to do, when selecting them, especially, if you
click on them with some accelerator key pressed (to select many or
regions of files). It's simply not funny, that eric triggers a dozen
oowriter instances in that case. Better provide that as a context menu
item. Same goes for UI files.

Check in: I tend to prefer checking in larger changes on the command
line (to svn), since that gives me the hint, what files are checked in
beforehand. Ideally, I would want to check the diff of some files'
changes before proceeding. I'm dreaming of a check in facility, that
offers an interface similar to "svn ci" in the shell, but with the
possibility to check the diffs of certain files, or a full diff. You
offer all of these functions within the version control context menu,
but the workflow is pretty uncomfortable.

It's a real pity, that you dropped Qt3 support a long time ago. Since I
still have a host of such projects running, I feel discriminated
compared to, say, wxpython users (which I classify much more legacy
then Qt3..).

Pete