[Eric] Is it a eric5-5.1.3 issue?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Jun 17 17:30:12 BST 2011

Hello Algis,

this is the algorithm used by eric to determine, if the file loaded is a
Python2 or a Python3 file.

1. If the first line is a she-bang line, Python3 scripts are detected by the
presence of the string "python3". Lines containing "python2" or "python" are
considered Python2 sources.

2. If the file does not contain such a line, the type is determined by the
file extension. This can be configured via the config dialog, Python page.

An alternative is to override the algorithm by placing a flag inside the a
comment at the end of the file. For a Python2 file this would be

# eflag: FileType = Python2

or

# eflag: FileType = Python3

The error indication is given because eric tries to check the file loaded for
correct syntax. Because eric5 is a Python3 application it has to start an
external Python2 interpreter. That one should be configured an the page given
below. Maybe eric should try harder to determine it by itself?

detlev at die-offenbachs.de