[Eric] Debugging a tool which only runs as root

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu May 12 18:30:15 BST 2011

On Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2011, Christian Rothländer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using eric5 for a while, but I am struggeling to get my setup running
> properly.
>
> After developing a tool for some time I added some functions which can
> solely run via an administrative (root) account. I searched through eric5
> to find an option to run the debugged process as root (as with sudo on the
> command line) but I wasn't able to find that option. I also tried to use
> "sudo" as environment, which failed.
>
> Has anybody out there how to get this setup running without running eric as
> root?
>
> Greetings,
> Christian

You could try the passive mode debugging. In that mode the IDE does not start
the program to be debugged but simply listens for connection attempts. You
start the debugger with your program from within a shell. That should work as
root as well (although I haven't tried it nor used this mode very often). See
the eric5 README file for some more infos.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de