[PyKDE] ANNOUNCE: PyQt/PyKDE v0.10pre5

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 8 11:31:26 GMT 1999

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Johannes Sixt wrote:

> IMHO choosing Python implies choosing single-byte-strings.
>
> Character strings are such a basic data type that they should be supported
> nativly by the programming language. If it doesn't support Unicode strings, the
> developer is ill advised to write programs in that language if Unicode strings
> are required in the program.
>
> If it's not possible to seamlessly integrate QStrings, people will swear at
> PyQt - my bet!

Well, you might be right about the swearing, but I don't quite agree with
the rest. It won't be long before the world has become mostly-unicode,
and Python is coming along. The only language that's 100% unicode is
Java, as far as I know. If we have access to the goodies from QString,
and can use QString to put byte arrays representing all sort of encodings
into Python strings, I think we have something quite workeable.

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org