[PyKDE] PyQwt win32 binary?

Boudewijn Rempt bsarempt at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 1 07:19:09 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Matt Gerassimoff wrote:

> So you let him have the license?  If Phil is using it for commercial
> purposes on a product he got for free?  (Mind you I'm guessing and
> probably way off!!!)  Why couldn't you get it back and release the
> binaries yourself?

No, you misunderstand me. I have one license (still have it - it's
not transferable or anything), and I asked Troll Tech to give away
another one.

And I can't release that binary because of the same reasons Phil
can't. I have a free license, not for production work. Besides
I haven't got a Windows compiler.

> Ultimately, I don't really want to do anything for windows, but it is a
> nice test for portaility sake.  I would rather see PyKDE finished and stay
> in linux.  I would like to just play with PyQt under windows.  It's FAR
> nicer then using Visual Basic.  I can development much cleaner apps then
> what I would with a MFC interface or a VB type interface for python.  I
> have seen Mark H's (I forget his last name) python windows program with
> MFC.   Man..., it sooo convoluted.  It's amazing to me anybody gets
> anything done under windows at all.  If you stay within the boundries of
> the IDE generated code, your ok.  But try something outside of that and it
> messes everything up.  Qt is so much more clean.  Oh well, so much for
> free PyQt under windows....

I've programmed Windows applications with Visual Basic, but PyQt is
so much nicer. That was the argument I made to New Riders and Manning
when I tried to sell them a book on PyQt, but they thought it wasn't
mainstream enough.