[PyKDE] PyQwt win32 binary?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 11:25:37 GMT 2001

Matt Gerassimoff wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Phil Thompson wrote:
>
> > Scott Prive wrote:

> > > Respectfully, I would ask "why"? I'm not sure  how many people use PyQT, but I
> > > suspect it is important to at least a few. The spirit of the answer is important.
> >
> > I'll try to answer this fully - don't read anything into it that isn't
> > there. These are my personal opinions, I'm not speaking for either
> > theKompany or Trolltech.
> >
> > There is no single reason for deciding not to continue to release a PyQt
> > binary for Windows. There were a number of influences over the
> > decision...
>
> You may say there is no single reason for not continuing the release of
> PyQt.  My guess:  you want to sell copies of Black Addr.  I wouldn't buy
> it if PyQt was available.  I'm not into IDE's that much.  You can make
> excuses and other reasons.  But in the end, it looks like you want to sell
> copies.  I remember when you posted the new of PyQt binaries for Windows.
> It seemed as thought TrollTech provided Qt for this.  Maybe I'm wrong but,
> that signifies to me that TrollTech was ok with it.  I would rather
> program in PyQt under linux.  It was nice to have the binaries.  I don't
> think it would be that difficult for you to continue to maintain the
> binaries.  Because you have to do it for Black Addr anyways.

Of course I want to sell copies of BlackAdder - but that wasn't an
influence. If Trolltech were to release Qt for Windows under the GPL
today then I would release a binary PyQt for Windows tomorrow.

When Trolltech provided me with a copy of Qt it was not for any specific
purpose. I think its just something they do from time to time as a thank
you to people who, in some way or other, help to promote Qt.

> You probably should have never released in the first place if you had
> plans for Black Addr.  I think that was your mistake.  So cat got let out
> of the bag and now you want to bring it back.  You might have also got
> some users along the way.

I had no plans for BlackAdder at the time. All I was trying to do was to
make my software available to more people.

> I won't be using PyQt to port anything to windows.  From the Black Addr
> FAQ page, it seems as though you closed everything else.  I'm not getting
> into the Microsoft payment schedule.  That's one reason I like
> Linux.

That's fine, it's your choice.

> So what's next, closing sip? PyQt? PyKDE?  Maybe you'll stop
> developing KDE interfaces?

Like I've said, there are no plans to change the licensing of
SIP/PyQt/PyKDE - I can't think of a single benefit of doing that. Like
all open source there is nothing to stop people forking code and running
it the way they want to.

> It's starting to look a little fishy.

Like I said, don't read into it things that aren't there.