[PyKDE] PyQwt win32 binary?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 31 11:26:25 GMT 2001

ender wrote:

> phil,
>
> thank you for releasing pyqt, pykde, and sip.
>
> this email is just rude,  and i just wanted to say that  your work is
> appreciated. If people want to update the libaries or develop them they are
> free to do so.

I think Matt's email was fair comment - although (in my opinion
obviously) incorrect. Matt's been using my software for a long time and
has contributed many bug reports and lots of the example scripts and he
has every right to make those comments.

> i do have a question about doing just that.
>
> i get the impression that there is no open source pyKDE interface planed for
> KDE2X.

When I started out with SIP/PyQt/PyKDE it was a hobby activity - I need
to program otherwise the creative half of my brain shuts down. Now that
I'm working full time as a programmer, I don't need the hobby so much.
SIP/PyQt/PyKDE is (apart from BlackAdder) still a hobby activity. The
result is that the work on supporting KDE2 is stalled.

> i was thinking about trying to do some work on wrapping the kde libraries,
> but i was curious if there any technical problems with just following the
> same pattern of using SIP to wrap the kde libaries as was done with KDE1?

I've got no problem with somebody picking up the work to support KDE2.
There is one technical issue with SIP to resolve to do with version
control. I may be motivated to sort this out if somebody was keen to run
with it afterwards :)