[PyKDE] Still fighting to have PyQt working

Luca Fini lfini at arcetri.astro.it
Sun Nov 18 14:52:09 GMT 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> On Saturday 17 November 2001 19:23, Luca Fini wrote:
> > I've installed PyQt-2.5 but I'm not able yet to get it working.
> >

> I admire your perseverance! Let's have another try. If you previously
> used the standard rpm's from RedHat, you might want to experiment with
> source now.

Many thanks for your patience.

I'm not sure I like the "all source" solution you suggest.

My problem is actually to evaluate the best GUI building package to choose
for a new software project. I've experimented a bit with Tkinter, but then
reading around I got the opinion that PyQt was a good alternative. Now I
know that Tkinter has at least one advantage: it is well integrated in
standard python distributions and comes whit them already working. This
may be not a key issue for a big project where you have manpower to do
also some installation and "software tuning" work, but it is an issue. The
fact that PyQt is not so easy to set up might indicate a stage of
development not yet very stable.

Anyway your suggestion is very valuable and I'll continue to try for a bit
more.

Many thanks again,

							l.f.
       -- )     Luca Fini                            Tel: +39 055 2752 307
 ___    |\      Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri  Fax: +39 055 2752 292
(___|___//___)  50125 Firenze  /   WWW: http://www.arcetri.astro.it/~lfini
 (_)      (_)   Italia        / e-mail: lfini at arcetri.astro.it