FW: Re: [PyKDE] PyQt Installation Problems

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Nov 21 20:26:57 GMT 2001

-----FW:
<Pine.NEB.4.40.0111211309110.22625-100000 at panix2.panix.com>-----

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:29:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Donovan Rebbechi <elflord at panix.com>
To: Jim Bublitz <jbublitz at nwinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [PyKDE] PyQt Installation Problems
Cc: pykde at mats.gmd.de

[ forward to the list if you like, I can't post ]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> the compile). So, tip: install the qt-devel rpm along with a new
qt
> install and if possible uninstall the old qt version. If you
> 2. PyQt likes recent versions of  automake, autoconf and libtool.
> upgraded the machine to autoconf2.13, automake2.52 and
> libtool1.4.2. Don't know if that made any difference, but those
> work. Those may not be the latest versions - I don't have the URLs
> for them handy, but I believe they're on the GNU site, or search
> on Google.

In fact if one wants to do *any* serious compiling on their machine,
the -devel packages associated with all the installed libs are
essential, not optional. And build software like make, autoconf,
automake and libtool needs to be up to date.

Taking some common sense precautions up-front can save a lot of
wasted effort tracking down build failures.

> 4. If you install a new ATA/IDE drive or distribution, be sure to
> run hdparm and to check/set 32 bit I/O and DMA options (eg 'hdparm
> /dev/hda' will display the current settings for hda - read the man
> page or the Ultra-DMA Mini HowTo and be careful though). PyQt and
> PyKDE2 are long compiles with a lot of HD activity so you want all
> the speed you can get. Lots of memory helps too - 256MB PC133
DIMMs
> are under $30 now.

This is a controversial viewpoint, but my humble prejudice is that
C++ translation units take so long to compile that the operation is
not IO bound. A C++ translation unit can take a second or more to
compile on a fairly fast CPU, and a modern machine can do *a lot* of
IO in that time window.

Memory certainly helps, and if you've got an SMP machine, so does
"-j2" (though unfortunately not with PyQt. There appears to be
something wrong with the dependencies, so parallel builds don't
work)

--
Donovan