FW: Re: [PyKDE] PyQt Installation Problems

gvermeul at labs.polycnrs-gre.fr gvermeul at labs.polycnrs-gre.fr
Wed Nov 21 21:46:51 GMT 2001

I fully agree with the observation that C++ compilations are CPU bound.

PyQt can be build in parallel makes if you make all the sipXXXVersion.h
first. So:

(cd qt; make sipqtVersion.h)
(cd qtgl; make sipqtglVersion.h)
.. for all other subdirectories
and finally:
make -j2

Works great!

I think that even normal C compilations are CPU bound, it is just
that g++ is very slow (MSVC is much faster for C++ compilations,
though the link step is much slower).

IMHO, 256 Mbyte is more than enough (128 Mbyte is sometimes a bottleneck).

I also tweak my hard drives for optimal speed, mostly for psychological
reasons. Disk caching in Linux is very good, so in my experience a
faster hard drive is barely noticable.

Best regards -- Gerard Vermeulen.