[PyKDE] PyQt Installation Problems

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Nov 21 21:55:31 GMT 2001

On 21-Nov-01 Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> This is a controversial viewpoint, but my humble prejudice is
> that C++ translation units take so long to compile that the
> operation is not IO bound. A C++ translation unit can take a
> second or more to compile on a fairly fast CPU, and a modern
> machine can do *a lot* of IO in that time window.

You're right - using hdparm I get 6X the transfer rate, which saved
a whopping 4 seconds on a 57 minute compile (and caching would
probably favor the second compile). The variation between compiles
with nothing changed is probably more than that. On the other hand,
the same compile on a faster machine (800MHz PIII vs 300MHz PII,
roughly same memory and HD) takes a little over 20 minutes - about
proportional to the clock speed difference. This is with the
compile as the only really active process running, which might make
a little more difference depending on the rest of the workload.

Jim