[PyKDE] User input needed

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Oct 29 10:57:31 GMT 2001

The bindings for kparts/khtml/kspell are now complete, but I'd like
some input on how to package them.

On an 833MHz PIII/256MB/IDE system (low workload, no swapping):

     Modules                      Compile Time (approx)

dcop/kdecore/kdeui/kio/kfile          40 minutes (mostly kdeui)
kparts/khtml/kspell                   20 minutes (mostly khtml)

I can:

1. Combine the two packages into one, with a total compile time of
about an hour, or

2. Make them two separate packages (as they are now)

It makes no difference to me, as I already have them compiled and
installed (and didn't even have to download them). The change
really only affects the top level make and autoconf files, and
isn't hard to do. Once the packages are installed, there isn't any
difference (there are 8 separate modules either way)

Please express an opinion and provide comments if you have any.

The new modules will be on CVS in a few days (when I figure out
which alternative to go with).

I'll be working on getting in sync with the most recent KDE/Qt
versions next. Haven't tried 3.0pre6 yet, but I don't expect
problems.

I dropped kab, mostly because it requires the C++ STL, which I don't
have bindings for, and which duplicates a lot of what's in Python
and Qt already.

Jim