[PyKDE] PyQt installation problem

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 14:07:00 GMT 2002

On Monday 30 December 2002 12:32 pm, Oded Arbel wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > On Monday 30 December 2002 10:08 am, Oded Arbel wrote:
> > > Hi list
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is a newbie question, but I am a python and a Qt
> > > newbie, so I apologise in advance.
> > >
> > > I've compile sip 3.5 and PyQt 3.5 and all apeared to be going well, but
> > > when I tried to import qt
> > >
> > > I got this :
> > > -- snip --

> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 39, in ?
> > >     import libqtc
> > > ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so:
> > > undefined symbol: _ZNK16QAssistantClient9classNameEv
> > > -- snip --
> > >
> > > Can anyone please clue me in on whats going on and how to fix it ?
> >
> > When Qt was built you ran "make install" instead of leaving it in the
> > directory it was built. This breaks the QAssistantClient library.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 9 with the qt 3.1 from RPMs (binary installed - I
> should have mentioned it earlier). is there something I can do besides
> recompiling Qt and keeping two copies of it ? what is QAssistantClient
> anyway, and how can it be broken by moving the binaries ?

You can find QAssistantClient in the Qt docs.

Below was from Ulrich Berning. I'd report the bug to Mandrake.

Phil

I had the same problen. I guess you have configured Qt-3.1.0 with a prefix and
called 'make install' after building.

Installing Qt this way strips not only the executables and shared libraries,
it also strips the archive libraries (qmake is very buggy on install targets,
it also strips html files and other types of files).

This results in the unresolved symbol when linking.

The solution is to copy the (unstripped) archive libraries from the build
directory to the target directory by hand after installing.