[PyKDE] PyKDE build story

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Jul 22 08:37:00 BST 2002

On 21-Jul-02 Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:41 am, Jim Bublitz wrote:

>> PyKDE-3.2.4 won't work with PyQt/sip-3.3.2 - it requires
>> PyQt/sip-3.2.4.

> Hrm, that'd possibly explain the error I got in the sip file
> later :)

>> configure also doesn't check for an '/export'
>> subdirectory (and won't in future releases).

> Yeah, but the dirs are in my KDEDIR and QTDIR...

It should find $KDEDIR/lib and $KDEDIR/include

>> > Now, I figure that the sip includes could be defaulted, since
>> > sip
>> > automatically installs its includes in the python include dir.
>> > The kde and qt dirs can be defaulted to $KDEDIR and $QTDIR.
>>
>> Yes, those should work.

> ... but weren't picked up... (are you saying "yes, they should be
> in the next version" or "they should work right now"?)

They should work right now - $KDEDIR/lib or /include is the second
item in the search path in each case. The only thing that should
prevent them from working is if /opt/kde3/ directories exist, as
those are checked first in 3.2.4

PyKDE-3.3.2 will require $KDEDIR and $QTDIR to be set correctly;
otherwise, you'll need to provide the dirs via a switch. It also no
longer uses configure.

>> > Once I got configure going, I quickly realised that I wasn't
>> > going to get much further. I jury-rigged support for 3.0.2 as
>> > far as I could (a symlink here, a  KDE_3_0_2 there) before I
>> > ran
>> > into a "sip: sip/dcop.sip:44: parse error" and  gave up :)

>> PyKDE-3.2.4 won't build with KDE3.0.2, although that doesn't
>> explain the parse error you're getting.

> Possibly a sip version mismatch?

I haven't tried it, but I don't think there are any big changes in
sip from 3.2.4 to 3.3.2 that would preclude it building; the
changes are in the KDE .h files (method declarations) - for the
changed methods, the declarations in the sip files no longer match
the KDE h files, so the generated code wouldn't compile.

>> The next release (which will build with KDE through 3.0.2) is
>> still at least a few days away _ I'm hoping to get it done
>> next week (although I've been hoping for that for a while now).

> Righto - is there anything I can do? I'm not very C++ conversant,
> and not at all sip conversant, but I could fix obvious stuff.
> If that's useful, let me know.

The changes aren't very difficult or extensive, but you'd need to
do both 3.0.1 and 3.0.2. I think it's more work than you'd want to
do (you need diffs of all of the h files by lib, and then use those
to update the appropriate sip files. The alternative would be to
comment out anything that's been modified.)

There are also some significant bug fixes coming in the next
version along with an improved build system. Most of that is done -
I need to verify it across several versions and then apply the
3.0.1 and 3.0.2 changes, so it isn't a lot of time, but just a
matter of getting to it. This gets a high priority from me, but
there are a few things that are higher on the list: business,
forest fires, and my daughter singing in the local Bachfest (the
part where she wasn't singing was a good nap), and all of those
have been diverting my attention at one time or another the last
several weeks.

Jim