[PyKDE] PyKDE build story

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Sun Jul 21 23:43:01 BST 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:41 am, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> On 21-Jul-02 Richard Jones wrote:
> > I've got KDE 3.0.2 installed in /export/kde-stable. I've got Qt
> > 3.0.4
> > installed in /export/qt-stable. KDEDIR, QTDIR, PATH and
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH all
> > point to or include these two dirs in the right way (ie. KDE runs
> > just fine
> >
> >:)
> >
> > sip and PyQt compiled no probs.
> >
> > PyKDE, however, is requiring a _lot_ of command-line configure
> > hints:
> >
> > ./configure --with-python=/usr/bin/python2 \
> >    --with-pyqt-sip-dir=../PyQt-3.3.2/sip --prefix=/usr/bin \
> >    --with-sip-includes=/usr/include/python2.1/ \
> >    --with-kde-dir=/export/kde-stable
> > --with-qt-dir=/export/qt-stable
>
> PyKDE-3.2.4 won't work with PyQt/sip-3.3.2 - it requires
> PyQt/sip-3.2.4.

Hrm, that'd possibly explain the error I got in the sip file later :)

> configure also doesn't check for an '/export'
> subdirectory (and won't in future releases).

Yeah, but the dirs are in my KDEDIR and QTDIR...

> > Now, I figure that the sip includes could be defaulted, since sip
> > automatically installs its includes in the python include dir.
> > The kde and qt dirs can be defaulted to $KDEDIR and $QTDIR.
>
> Yes, those should work.

... but weren't picked up... (are you saying "yes, they should be in the next
version" or "they should work right now"?)

> > Once I got configure going, I quickly realised that I wasn't
> > going to get much further. I jury-rigged support for 3.0.2 as
> > far as I could (a symlink here, a  KDE_3_0_2 there) before I ran
> > into a "sip: sip/dcop.sip:44: parse error" and  gave up :)
>
> PyKDE-3.2.4 won't build with KDE3.0.2, although that doesn't
> explain the parse error you're getting.

Possibly a sip version mismatch?

> The next release (which will build with KDE through 3.0.2) is still
> at least a few days away _ I'm hoping to get it done next week
> (although I've been hoping for that for a while now).

Righto - is there anything I can do? I'm not very C++ conversant, and not at
all sip conversant, but I could fix obvious stuff. If that's useful, let me
know.

    Richard