[PyKDE] PyKDE with KDE 3.0.1?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Jun 3 17:31:00 BST 2002

On 03-Jun-02 "John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com>  wrote:
> I tried building PyKDE 3.2.4 against KDE 3.0.1, and it refuses to
> build.

> I realise Jim hasn't updated it yet for this KDE version, but is
> this really necessary -- isn't it possible to just give a warning
> during configure, and go ahead and build anyway?  I presume
> 3.0.1 isn't monumentally different from 3.0.0, so that most /
> all of it should build, even if the wrapper is missing some new
> features?

Actually I didn't think PyKDE would build with 3.0.1 after looking
at diffs of the h files (and in fact I'm not sure it does quite -
see below). It's impossible to predict what will change - usually
if only the last digit of the version increments, the changes are
small. However, the changes from 3.0beta2 to 3.0.0 were major.

You can always modify 'configure' and scripts - it's not hard to
find the version check. As a policy for a release, I don't think
it's a good idea - the check is done (among other reasons) to
prevent people from building a PyKDE that doesn't work.

> Niggle: The `build' script has /usr/bin/python in the #! line.

>#!/usr/bin/env python

> is more standard, since as I'm sure you (Jim) know, it will find
> Python wherever it may be hiding.

This was intentional (it's called from configure using
'$PYTHONINTERP build <options>', and configure knows where Python is
located), but it's incorrect for 'build', since it needs to be able
to run stand-alone. I'll fix it for the next release. Thanks.

(Can't remember why I thought that was better at the moment - arg
passing?)