[PyKDE] New Debian sip/PyQt packages. Please try them

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina rcardenes at debian.org
Tue May 21 01:43:00 BST 2002

As I said some hours ago, you can download and try the last Debian
packages for PyQt from:

 deb http://asgard.debian.net unstable main

You have deb-src in the same place.
Please, note that a single `apt-get upgrade' or even
`apt-get dist-upgrade' won't work if you were using my previous packages.
The reason is that for previous releases, I was comfortable with this set
of packages:

  - sip
  - libsip
  - python-pyqt

But there's a problem for 3.* sip/PyQt packages: Phil allows compiling
sip/PyQt for both Qt2 and Qt3, and I've compiled the packages so you can
use them with Python2.1 and 2.2. The new packages are:

  * Packages obtained from sip:
    - sip                  | The sip executable

    - python2.1-sip-qt2    | Sip modules for the various
    - python2.1-sip-qt3    | combinations Python2.{1,2}/Qt{2,3}
    - python2.2-sip-qt2    | You can install two of them, as long
    - python2.2-sip-qt3    | as they differ on the Python version.

    - python2.1-sip-dev    | Headers
    - python2.2-sip-dev

  * Packages obtained from PyQt:
    - python2.1-qt2        | PyQt modules for the various
    - python2.1-qt3        | combinations Python2.{1,2}/Qt{2,3}
    - python2.2-qt2        | You can install two of them, as long
    - python2.2-qt3        | as they differ on the Python version.

    - python-qt-dev        | .sip files from PyQt

    - pyuic2               | You can have both of these. They
    - pyuic3               | install a versioned executable, linked by
			   | means of a 'Debian alternative'
			   | (man update-alternatives). The version, of
			   | course, matches that of Qt

    - python2.2-eric       | Here goes the same that for pyuic, but
    - python2.1-eric       | replacing "Qt" with "Python"

    - python-qt2-doc       | Documentation
    - python-qt3-doc

If you just want to install PyQt, then write:

 # apt-get install python2.X-qtY

Being X and Y your Python and Qt (respectively) versions of choice. In
this moment, there's only the Qt2 versions on my site. I'll compile the
Qt3 versions tomorrow. Please, be patient, as this is my home machine, and
it is a poor ADSL with only 128Kbits for upload.

Feedback to me any problem you find on the packages, or mere suggestions.

Regards,
	Ricardo