[PyKDE] Kudos and Questions from a New Convert

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Wed Nov 20 22:19:01 GMT 2002

> > I completely agree with you about the power of PyQt, but I can give a
> > reason why I probably won't use it for any of my "mainstream" code in
> > the near future: installation. If my code uses PyQt, then every user
> > must install Qt and PyQt, both of which are not entirely trivial and
> > require a C++ compiler, which not everybody has. Moreoever,
> > compatibility between versions is not perfect, not all code for Qt 2
> > works with Qt 3. For any supported code, I'd rather avoid the
> > resulting support overhead and stick with Tk.
> >

> ah that is a problem.  i wanted to download and try this out but i don't
> have a compiler for my windows box.  i can play with it in KDE on Linux
> but i'd like to see it on windows also.
>
> are there any free compilers on windows that i can use for Qt & PyQt?
> --
Again, pardon my ignorance, since I'm just getting started
with Qt/PyQt, I'm just trying to make sure for myself........
Are there not precompiled binary versions available
for both of these for windows?
If not, won't one of the free compliers like ming32 or devshed
work? If not, I've read vc++ will.
Why not develop on your linux system and
use a program like py2exe to run your program on windows.
That's the beauty of being cross platform, I thought.
I've downloaded some sample programs developed on linux,
ran through Py2exe and they run great on an old win95 system
with none of the supporting software.
I guess I'm confused because I ran through all this with
wxwindows and had no problems and I'm assuming that
Qt/PyQt is doable as well.