[PyKDE] Re: eric3 python-site files not found

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Nov 29 00:39:01 GMT 2002

On Thursday 28 November 2002 21:22, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> > Hi Arno,
> >
> > what about subscribing PyKDE? Pretty low traffic ML.
> >
> > On Tuesday 26 November 2002 12:47, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > when single-stepping through some of my python files with eric3
> > > I get an error dialog with the message
> > >
> > > The file
> > > /var/tmp/python-2.2.1-build/usr/lib/python2.2/sre.py
> > > could not be opened.
> > >
> > > I am using python-2.2.1-45 from SuSE 8.1. I also have the rpm
> > > python-nothreads-2.2.1-45 installed, not sure whether that
> > > maytters. The same python files run fine outside of eric3.
> > >
> > > The filename in the message looks like a leftover from a build.
>
> I am using SuSE 8.1 as well and haven't seen the described behaviour so
> far. Would it be possible for you, to send me one of your scripts that
> fails to run. The only difference I can see from your description is,
> that I don't have the python-nothreads-2.2.1-45 package installed. It
> could be possible, that your Python tries to execute a script
> compiled/optimized with one version with the other one. At the moment I
> don't have any other clue.
>
> > The problem seems to be related to the way, how eric resolves
> > the path of the source (using the path provided in the *.py{c,o}
> > files). This clashes with the way, SuSE built their python package,
> > which leads to these strange messages from eric. I solved this
> > problem with the attached script:
>
> Hans-Peter, what do you mean by that. I am not aware of any special path
> resolving in eric (but maybe that's deep in the old code that I haven't
> touched).

Detlev, please try this:
strings -f /usr/lib/python2.2/*.py[co] | grep "/var/tmp/"
I bet, you will find a lot of matches. Try single stepping through one of
these, and you should see.

Attached is a significantly speeded up version of my compile script.
(works with a pipe and two, not n+1 python processes)

> Detlev

Hans-Peter