[PyKDE] ANN: Packages for Eric, the Python IDE

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Nov 29 20:20:01 GMT 2002

Am Freitag, 29. November 2002 19:45 schrieb Peter Osborne:
> On November 27, 2002 04:06 pm, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > It is already there. They are just not shown as a folder in the
> > project browser. The display is a flat one. However, if you add a
> > file to a subdirectory of your project directory, the subdir is
> > created and the file placed there. In the browser it is shown like
> > "subdir/file.py". In addition to that eric will search for new files
> > in these subdirectories upon opening a project (if this feature is
> > enabled).
>
> I'm a little confused how this works. I currently have a fairly large
> project with about 6 subdirectories and probably 30 or 40 files in it.
> I have a subdirectory called "ui" in the main directory and it
> contains all my ui files. When I add one of these forms to the
> project, it copies it to the main directory rather than leaving it and
> using it in it's original location.
>
> Is Eric supposed to work this way? If so, maybe I can rearrange my
> project a bit.
>
> Thanks,
> -Pete

The way how to simply add the file without moving it is to enter the
directory of the file as the target, i.e. your file is
"/projectdir/subdir/file.py" in the target entry enter
"/projectdir/subdir". eric3 recognises this and adds the file without
copying it. Internally the subdirectory is registered as well. Alpha3 of
eric3 will have an additional action to search for new files while the
project is open. That is the same function that is performed when a
project is opened. You have to enable the automatism on the Project tab
of the preferences dialog.

At the moment there is no "Add directory to project" function. I will put
this on the TODO list because I don't intend to add more functionality
for 3.0.0. At the moment I would like to concentrate on bug fixes to
reach the final release fairly soon.

Regards
Detlev
--