[PyKDE] Screenshots: PyQt/KDE Development-Portal

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Oct 23 19:55:01 BST 2002

On 23-Oct-02 Marc Schmitt wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 16:51, Eli Carter wrote:
>> Hmm... "Py.Heaven" does seem random...  So here is an idea:
>> I've long thought that the name 'PyQt' was backwards... it
>> should be 'QtPy', because it sounds like "cutie-pie" (a term of
>> endearment, for those "not from around these parts" ;) )
>> Anyway, it might be something

> Ehm, could you define "cutie-pie" in some other words please ?
> (my Longman DCE defines "endearment" as "an action or word that
> expresses your love for someone", ... I just don't get it :)
> The name Py.Heaven is really more or less random. I wanted the
> tokens "Py", "Qt" and "KDE" to appear within the name, but I
> found nothing sensible.

My German is virtually non-existent any more, but it would be
somewhat of a cross between "liebchen" and "scho/"ne Ma/"dchen".
Scho/"n ~= cute -> cutie (sounds like 'Q t'), which is sort of a
"diminutive", like adding "-chen" on the end of word auf Deutsch
(??) It's more like baby talk. Sorry, I can't do umlauts, and my
spelling is probably off too.  (Babelfish was no help either)

It's kind of like trying to translate one of my mother's favorite
jokes (she was born in the US but grew up in a German speaking
household): if you asked her "Was ist los?", her reply was always
"Alles was nicht angebundant ist". In English that becomes "What's
wrong?" - "Everything that isn't tied down". It loses something in
the translation.

Jim