[PyKDE] Screenshots: PyQt/KDE Development-Portal

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Oct 24 00:57:01 BST 2002

On 23-Oct-02 Marc Schmitt wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 18:54, Jim Bublitz wrote:
>> My German is virtually non-existent any more, but it would be
>> somewhat of a cross between "liebchen" and "scho/"ne Ma/"dchen".
>> Scho/"n ~= cute -> cutie (sounds like 'Q t'), which is sort of a
>> "diminutive", like adding "-chen" on the end of word auf Deutsch
>> (??) It's more like baby talk. Sorry, I can't do umlauts, and my
>> spelling is probably off too.  (Babelfish was no help either)

> Wow. Very good. :) Except "liebchen" is no german word I know,
> I'd rather use "Schatz" (which you call your loved one) or
> "Scha/"tzchen" (which you *should not* call a (sexual
> attractive) woman) - I guess there's no direct translation.

Now that you mention it, I can't remeber every hearing "liebchen"
at home, but definitely "Schatz" or "Schatzie". "Liebchen" is the
stereotypical "Hollywood" word used in dialog with German
characters - I'm pretty sure it occurs in a scene is "Casablanca"
for example - as in "my little liebchen". Now I wonder what the
derivation of that word is ...

Jim