[PyKDE] PyKDE release

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Aug 7 02:58:01 BST 2003

I'm waiting for one more compile to finish and then I should be
shipping off a tarball to Phil, who usually gets the release up
at http://riverbankcomputing.co.uk pretty quickly (if he's
around).

The release has changed slightly from my earlier post:

sip versions: sip 3.6 or sip 3.7 (snapshots not tested yet)

KDE version: any KDE version from 3.0.0 through 3.1.3
(yep - covers 'em all)

Tested on SuSE 8.1, 8.2 and RH 9.0 (compile took twice as long on
RH ??). Python 2.3 not tested (but don't expect problems)

Most people can probably just do:

    python build.py

to build. build.py now assumes you want -c (use -c- if you don't)
and libqt-mt is required by KDE3.

I also included some of the unit tests (tests/autotest.py - run
with tests/ as the current directory). Three should fail
(KURLList.__getItem__ - obsolete method,  KFile.isSortByName and
KApplication.startServiceByDesktopPath), all others should pass.
A quick and dirty test of an install is to run:

    python importTest.py

from the top level directory - it just checks that all modules
can be imported.

This is essentially no different than the last (3.5) release in
terms of function/bugs/etc. Docs will still say 3.5, as nothing
much has changed and it saves a few hours not rewriting and
regenerating the docs.

I'll (hopefully) have another release ready in a week or two with
bug fixes and other stuff.

Jim